Depending on your nationality, your situation and the length of your stay, you may need a visa to study in France.

There is an official website for visas for France:
Do not hesitate to check it to get all the information you need to prepare your stay in France.

Non-European students must request a student long-stay visa for studies (D visa), also called VLSTS (Visa de Long Séjour Valant Titre de Séjour / Long-stay visa serving as a residence permit), from the French Consulate in their home country. Make sure you obtain this visa; otherwise, you may get a visa that only allows you to remain in France for your exchange study period and prevents you from receiving financial support for accommodation from the French government.

Students should check with the Embassy what kind of visa they will receive and which possibilities this visa offers.

We will help non-European students with residence title applications once in France (residence permit / OFII stamp).

Exception: students coming for less than 90 days (due to an academic trimester system in their home university) can ask for a Schengen visa.


Student visa has a limited length of validity. When your type of visa requires it, we will help non-European students with residence title applications once in France, during the orientation week (residence permit “carte de séjour” / OFII application).

We also help students renew their residence title during their student curriculum in France.


France has lifted all remaining restrictions for international arrivals to the country, including for those travelling on a student visa. The new rules are in effect as of 1 August 2022.

However, the French government reserves the option to restore travel restrictions as required, under a so-called “emergency brake” provision in French law. This option currently remains in place until 31 January 2023, and, if activated, would allow the government to re-introduce travel limits for up to two months “in the event of an appearance and circulation of a new variant of covid-19 likely to constitute a serious health threat.”

For more details please check Campus France website, the FAQ from France Diplomacy – Advice for Foreign Nationals in France about COVID-19 and this page by our Ministry of the Interior (Homeland Security).